Thursday, January 22, 2009
My sister Heather is in the hospital
Any prayers for her would be great. She's been feeling under the weather for a few days I guess and just on Monday night she was taken in by ambulance to the ER for a few hours. Yesterday she was taken back right from work and admitted for 24 hour observation and lots of tests. She's normally really healthy other than she gets UTI's alot and some kidney infections but hasnt had those in quite awhile as she drinks cranberry juice everyday to help keep her system clear. She's fit, eats fairly healthy and has even started eating less junk and fried food and more fruits, veggies and lean meat. She's never been overweight and exercises regularly but not overboard. Anyway, I guess Monday, she was feeling hot and cold at the same time, chest pains, tightness in her chest, everything around her was fading in and out of her vision, and had irregular heartbeats. They checked her blood sugar, which was 130 and her blood pressure kept fluctuating. She felt just run down and went home. Heather stayed on the couch for a few hours trying to rest and make sure Jake (her 10yr old) was ok, ate dinner, did his homework, etc. She wasnt doing better so she called 911 and Jake went to the neighbors. They gave her oxygen, nitrogen stuff for her tongue, baby aspirin, took her blood sugar which was now down to 60! and her b/p was still all over the place. The ER said acid reflux, extreme anemia, go home and rest after a few hours. Yesterday at work she started feeling the same way and got extremely pale and the nurse at work made her stay there and go in to the ER again. They found that her potassium levels are low as well as her iron, but her heart is fine according to the many tests they have done. They are testing her for pernicious anemia which is vit. b deficiency, which my mom has and I guess can be hereditary. Not sure what else they are checking but they put a sign on her door that says NPO, which my mom said, means nothing per oral, basically no food or drink by mouth, so I'm wondering if they are doing a fasting blood sugar test now? Heather and Jake are about 2 1/2 hours away in Columbus OH and I really wish we were closer to her. I'm going to give her a call and check on her and I will try to post an update later. Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Gosh Crystal, first Ethan and now your sister! Definite prayers. I'm sorry you guys have so much stress. I'll ask my Catholic Moms Board to pray, too.
Let me know if you need anything!
THat will be in my prayers. I love your background! This is my first time to your blog.
Well, Tootles,
Lauren Ann
This is so weird! She has sooo many of the same things I have been having--high and low blood sugar--blood pressure issues (namely low)--Low potassium, arrhythmias, etc! Has she ever heard of adrenal fatigue? Been checked for thyroid issues? Hmmm....the ER is so useless! :o( It makes me mad sometimes! I'll be praying--Keep us updated!
Any updates? I've been thinking about ya!
Post a Comment