blog background

Thursday, November 6, 2008

School stuff

Ethan got his 1st quarter grade card today and I thought I would share.

 *UPDATE* After reading the comments I received, I realized something I did not mention. I am very proud of my young man. He is such a good, sweet, smart kiddo and he tries very hard and I'm proud of his grades and his successes. I meant to put that in the original post and somehow managed to leave it out! OOPS!!

Religion - Satisfactory (S) (all subcategories are satisfactory)

Math - Good-(G-) (all subcategories satisfactory)

Language Arts - Good (edits and revises own work - needs improvement, the rest satisfactory)

Reading - Good+ (G+) (all subcategories outstanding)

Phonics- G+

Spelling - Excellent (E) (subcategory outstanding)

Handwriting - S (forms letters correctly - needs improvement, other category satisfactory)

Social Studies - S- (subcats satisfactory)

Science/Health - G (subcats satisfactory)

Computer - G (completes projects - satisfactory; shows effort - outstanding)

Spanish - S (subcats satisfactory)

Music - G (subcats S)

Art - S (subcats S)

Physical Education - S (is prepared for class - Outstanding; other subcats S)

Personal Behavior - S- (shows responsibility; uses self-control; respects the rights/property of others; respects authority - all Need Improvement; works and plays well with others - S)

Work skills - S (completes homework - outstanding; all other subcats S)

Attendance - G (only 1 absence YEAH!!!!)

Conduct - S (1 red flag, kind of like a demerit, get 5 and they get a detention after school)

Teacher comments: Ethan has come a long way since the start of school. I look forward to him raising his hand at sharing times. He is a blessing.

 

Now mind you, all this sound as though he is doing pretty good at school, right???

Well as Sharon already knows, things are quite going that smoothly. In fact, to put it bluntly they are kicking him out. Now, they aren't doing it harshly or even using those exact words. They expressed to me at our meeting on October 14th that he was having difficulties and that maybe that other school would be better, blah blah blah. Since then, I have been researching these schools to determine where the best placement for Ethan is. I had found just 2 or 3 choices and was trying to narrow it down when I got a letter last Wednesday stating that they could no longer continue to serve Ethan and that the problem was two-fold, his meets could not be met and his behaviors were disrupting class making it difficult for the other children to learn. I had till Friday (2 days!!!) to let them know what my plans for his further education were! After a long couple of days(stressful, fighting with my poor hubby, and just anger and confusion on what to do next) I found 2 schools/programs I wanted to go check out, neither of which were on my first list. One was a charter school that works with only children who are on the Autism Spectrum, or have ADD/ADHD. The other works with only children on the Autism Spectrum BUT they are completely imbedded and also are in a Catholic school with typical children. In this program they attend the pre-inclusion class to start and are assessed. As the child is ready they are mainstreamed, maybe an hour a day or even an hour a week, up to the whole school day, whatever the child is ready for. There are only 10-12 kids in the program at any given time, they rent 3 rooms out for the preschool, pre-inclusion room and sensory integration room, and each child has their own one-on-one teacher. We went to both schools on Monday and decided to send him to the one that does inclusion, that's at the Catholic school. I'm excited because it's exactly what I want for him and what I believe he truly needs. The only thing is, there is a paperwork issue currently. The state of Ohio offers a Autism Scholarship good for up to $20,000 for any family to receive to send their child with Autism to a private provider. The scholarship comes from money the student's school district would normally get, so the school district has to fill out and sign the papers stating that Ethan is a child with Autism, has a IEP and MFE, is eligible to enroll in the school district, etc. Once that gets done, I have to mail that in with the rest of the application to the Ohio dept of Education and wait, and wait, and wait (usually, from what I'm told, it's approved within 24-48 hours after they receive it, but then I have to have the approval form and they will not overnight it I'm sure!! but I wonder? Would they fax a copy to me so he can start receiving services he needs?). Then, the school goes year round and the scholarship only gives up to $20000, and only for 3 out of four quarters (fiscal not typical school years, so Oct-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep) and so the summer quarter won't be paid for. It will cost a pretty penny for us to send him there, but it's well worth it. We have been blessed the last few years, having our savings last us as long as it has, and now with Jason's good job, we should be able to handle at least this year and over half of next years. From then on, we will figure it out. Plus, who knows, since they are trying to get the kids ready to handle a regular classroom without an aide, without the therapies, etc. maybe he'll only need this year and next. Here's to hoping. Hoping it's the right place, hoping we can afford it as long as he needs it and hoping that he will eventually make the progress needed so that he won't need it forever. After all, that is the goal, for him to be able to handle situations better, do good in school and the real world without support all the time, and be a productive citizen.

6 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I had a similar experience with Rob's school - got a glowing report card followed a couple days later by a dire letter and the IEP report that he was not on track... what a disconnect! I think it's CYA. They don't want to look like they are discriminating.

Is he going to his current school on an IEP? If so, any absence of more than 10 days (like getting kicked out!) is a change of placement and cannot happen without meetings, signatures, etc.

Sharon said...

I am so glad you posted! I have been really thinking about you & even wondering if Ethan went back to school after last Friday or not.

Congrats to him for the report card-and YOU should feel proud, too.

Unknown said...

MHM- the school he's going to actually doesn't use/follow IEPs since they are privately funded and dont have any special education services. He does however have a current one thats good till May 09 so maybe even if I have to pull him out and keep him home till the new program is started, we would have to redo it? I have a feeling the school will be charitable enough to keep him until the paperwork taken care of. They keep saying "He's so sweet and we will miss him so much." so maybe another week won't hurt too much, if absolutely necessary through thanksgiving break.

Unknown said...

Sharon - yeah, I meant to call you and let you know what was going on but didnt get a chance yet! He's gone everyday this week except Monday when he went with us to those schools. One yellow day and 2 greens!! It's wierd too, because I totally stopped watching his diet so close, he's had doritos, he's had candy with coloring in it. I wanted to see how he did with it and he almost seems less agitated. maybe because he isnt as concerned with it and he did seem very concerned with it!! always saying no I cant have that, or mom, can I have this? reading ingredients. probably gonna give himself an ulcer at 6 because of the anxiety.

Oh and yes!! We are all so proud of him. I actually updated my post because I realized I forgot to note that in there!! I will tell him you said congrats, he is so happy and proud of himself. We ordered pizza last night to celebrate!

CJ Sweet said...

I wanted to comment but don't really know what to say. Sounds like a lot of stress, but glad you seem to be getting it all sorted out. The new school sounds like it would be a great fit for Ethan. Will keep you all in my prayers!

heidi @ ggip said...

Oh my goodness. Thanks for giving me a glimpse into the world of IEP's and whatnot. I know that I will need this in the future.

Good luck with Ethan! I hope you find the perfect place for him.