When the boys and I went to the natural foods store the other day, I picked up the latest issue of delicious living. In it, there is an article titled "Label know-how". I got quite a bit of information from it along with a website about food safety, Center for Science in the Public Interest. Specifically listed was the link for food additives. While I definitely recommend reading through it, I wanted to point out a couple of things I disagree with or feel were left out.
First of all here is what is written about vanillin.
VANILLIN, ETHYL VANILLIN
Substitute for vanilla: Ice cream, baked goods, beverages, chocolate, candy, gelatin desserts.Vanilla flavoring is derived from a bean, but vanillin, the major flavor component of vanilla, is cheaper to produce in a factory. A derivative, ethyl vanillin, comes closer to matching the taste of real vanilla. Both chemicals are safe.
It states vanillin is safe but it is one of the many artificial flavorings that we avoid. The Feingold Program removes it along with the other artificial flavorings. Not sure about you but wouldn't the natural alternative be a better choice?
Also they fail to even mention one of the 3 preservatives that we are trying to avoid. While they do mention BHT and BHA, they did not mention TBHQ (Tertiary Butylhydroquinone). I would like to find out what they think the safety of that is.
Just thought I would share, since it does have some great information about other additives though. I learned some stuff about nitrites and nitrates that made me want to try and avoid those foods with them, such as most hot dogs and bacon. Time to start looking for those at the natural foods store. Maybe I am a little strange, but I don't want my kids eating this junk if possible.
3 comments:
From what I understand, vanilla extract and vanillin are chemically identical, and are considered the same thing. I'm not a chemist, though. If you notice a difference in your boys, keep on doing what you are doing! YOU are the expert on your boys!
We restrict TBHQ - I got the info from Dr. Weil's book, but here's the Wikipedia link. He lumps all three of those things together (BHA/BHT/TBHQ):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tert-Butylhydroquinone
Here's the MSDS sheet on it!
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/BU/tert-butyl_hydroquinone.html
(Note that it is "harmful if swallowed!)
Nitrates and Nitrites are carcinogens.
http://www.deliciousorganics.com/controversies/nitrates.htm
Mama- thanks for sharing those links!
Just got back on the computer for a few minutes...we've had storm after storm pretty much all week so we've kept the computer off and unplugged (our computer crashed due to one of these storms back in May). Anyway, I am so glad to read others are being more particular about what they put in their bodies. Since I have multiple auto-immune/pain issues I have been learning what to avoid. I fall off the wagon so to speak from time to time and I can almost immediately notice how it affects me. So much of the food available to us is poisoned by artificial junk. Ok, I'm done with my soap box. I'll hop down now.
Post a Comment