blog background

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A work in progress

When we bought this house, we knew there were some things we needed to change, work we needed to do. Over the last few days, Jason has been out beating on the concrete foundations from the old greenhouses in our backyard with a sledge hammer after his dad took the initiative and started with a pick axe about a week ago. This is what he got done so far (as of 3pm today):












He knocked down two foundations and dug around about 15 or so concrete and metal posts like the one above. We have about 15 more posts in one greenhouse foundation to dig around, 8 posts and 15 or so metal bars to dig around on the other greenhouse foundation, plus several others that are out in the middle of nowhere in the area of the pool that belonged to who knows what! There is now a 15 yard dumpster sitting in our driveway about 8 feet from our garage in my parking spot about halfway filled with cinder blocks, concrete chunks, a couple small metal poles, and some old doors. We are going to rent either a bobcat/front end loader or a small excavator to dig/pull out the posts. After breaking down the blocks, Jason found the foundations go 2 cinder blocks deep, below ground level! Not sure if we will dig them up, but he intends to fill in the holes and cover them with about 3-6 inches of dirt and then grass seed so we will see. Then goes the pool to the highest bidder, haha, more like whoever will come take it from us for nothing! The pump and filter appear new, but it needs a new liner and the deck needs work. I just cannot wait to claim our backyard! Jason, my f-i-l Joe and I managed to get most of the big blocks(they did way more than I did) out to the dumpster, with the help of the boys. Alex helped from about 1 or so and Ethan from about 4. My f-i-l came over around 5 and he and Jason got so much done with a second set of strong hands and a second wheelbarrow!


Alex helping me fill the wheelbarrow with little bitty rocks!


My guys taking a much-needed, well-deserved break.

I love this man so much. I know I don't tell him enough or show him very well sometimes. I hope he knows that he truly is the love of my life. Not just for stuff like fixing up our yard, playing with the kids, for cooking dinner, helping clean the house, fixing our house and cars, and taking care of the dog, but for loving me, no matter what, for being my husband through thick and thin, for better or worse, rich or poor, good times and bad, for accepting me for who I am and never asking or expecting more of me. So thank you Jason and I love you.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Your last paragraph was so sweet. :)

I forgot to mention earlier at the park, but if you guys need any help w/ the backyard or anything, we'd love to help out. (Pat included). Please don't hesitate to ask!