blog background

Saturday, February 23, 2008

I hate ER's

Actually this experience we had wasn't too bad. But still, I hate hospitals and ER's, mainly because when you're there either you or someone you care about is sick or hurt. Last night around 1 am, about an hour or so after we FINALLY went to bed, Jason got up a couple of times, and the second time I asked him if he was OK, because that's just not like him at all. He answered with a resounding, no, I don't think so! I waited a few minutes thinking he just was getting the stomach flu or something because he headed to the bathroom. After about 20 minutes I got up to check on him and he was in excruciating pain. Now mind you, my dh is not one to let pain get to him at all, so seeing it in his face scared me. I asked him what was wrong and did he need to go to the hospital. He agreed to go way to easily. I called my mom who lives a half hour away (my in laws who live across the street happened to be gone for the night and all day today for my sis-in-law traveling softball tournament!) and she was going to head over. Then I thought of Jason's brother and his fiance who live about 10 minutes away and called them. They showed up and I called my mom to tell her never mind. We drove to the hospital and he went right back. They gave him an IV, 3 different pain meds all the way up to morphine, and ordered a CT Scan. The pain was on his left side around his kidney going from the front, around the side and into his back. The medicine kicked in and when the CT scan results came back they told him he has a 2-3mm kidney stone!! I finally went home at 4:30am knowing the kids would be up early and I had to make sure all was well. Alex had just woken up and my bil and his fiance had fallen asleep so it was perfect timing! He had pee'd through his jammies and sheet so I changed him and laid him in our bed and tried to get an hour or so of sleep. Jason called at 6:15 to say he was getting released so I got the kids together and we went and picked him up. They ended up giving him 4mg more of morphine, some Percaset (spelling?) and Flomax and then sent him home. He should pass the stone in the next few days and then he's supposed to go to our regular doctor. Except we don't have one right now, nor do we have insurance right now. We do have savings though (and because we have savings we can't get state insurance!!!!) so at least we should be able to pay the bills hopefully! I am just grateful he was home and not overseas or even LA, and also that it wasn't something worse so to speak. I know its painful, but its not deadly or long-term. So any prayers for his quick recovery would be greatly appreciated and also for us to be able to afford the bills when they start pouring in! Thanks!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Yikes! I hear kidney stones are HORRIBLE to pass, especially for men. Prayers for your hubby.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Crystal...
I hope he is feeling better now. I hear they are really painful.

I've been horrible in writing and noting blogs. I'm going to try and get better at it! I hope you are having a blessed Sunday.

Sharon said...

OUCH! I KNOW this pain. I feel for him. I had kidney stones while pregnant with Brennan-2 different little stubborn stones. (the 2nd one resulting in a 5 day hospital stay:(

How is he doing on the Percocet? (sp)
That stuff curbed the pain, but MAN it made me loopy and so sick to my stomach. I hope he's doing ok.

Prayers for him! I used to never believe it when I heard it's more painful to pass a kidney stone than give birth. I've done both, though, and I DO agree w/ that!

Jennifer said...

Oh NOOOOO! Jeez! It came on "just like that"? That is scary!! Poor guy! (And poor you, too!) Tell us how everything turns out and we'll be praying! Make sure to post this request to the group, too!

Unknown said...

Andrea-thanks! he's feeling better now.

Kate-thanks for everything. I know what you mean, I read the blogs real quick and then say to myself, I am going to comment about that later when I have more time,LOL!

Sharon- Thanks. Wow I can't imagine being preggo and having kidney stones! Ouch! they actually didn't give him a RX for it, so he just dealt with the pain pretty much on his own!

Jen-I would've posted for prayers to the group but I actually decided to unsub
about a month or so ago:( thanks for the prayers though! I actually am gonna
do an update today sometime, LOL. been so busy since Saturday I haven't
written!