That probably sounds sort of odd, but truth be told, I have met people who claim to be Roman Catholic, only to find out they are that in name alone. Let me stop here for a moment. I do not intend to write this to hurt feelings, or to judge. I intend to impart Truth and we are all called to do that. So before I start I apologize if I offend anyone, I am writing this to inform and instruct only. I am a sinner, I fall from grace daily, I don't even do all the things that will probably show up in this post, but I am writing it as much to myself as I am to those who read from an outside view. I don't even know who reads this or if anyone does, so maybe its just for me, but I feel called to write today.
One day a friend and I were having a conversation and the topic of NFP and Catholicism came up. Her mother was raised Catholic and her father Baptist and they left the choice up to the kids, which I do not agree with, but I digress, as my parents, who were/are Seventh-day Adventists basically did the same thing (again I do not agree with that, but I guess I should be glad as I came to find the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church!). Well as we were discussing this, I said I want to follow God and the Church and all of that and she said "Well are you following American Catholicism or Roman Catholicism?" HUH???? I knew what she meant but WHOA! I said something like, there is no "American" Catholicism, unless of course you are referring to "cafeteria" Catholics.
I thought about it and realized most of the Catholics I know are just that. They baptize their children because of "tradition" but for no other real reason. They do not expect their child to go to Mass, even though they go sometimes, usually Christmas and Easter. The child receives first Communion, maybe even goes to a Catholic school but nothing is ever expected of them or taught to them about God or Jesus or anything religious for that matter. Sometimes, more often than not, that same child will have a game or other activity on a Sunday (I am making generalizations here, and also Sunday activities are fine, but Church should be a priority) and maybe was supposed to serve at Mass but because the game/activity was at the same time, the parent called and got someone to cover for them, AT MASS!!! What does this show our children? Fun stuff comes before Church? Worldly things before God? It makes me sad. I get looks or comments for taking my two boys, ages 5 and 2(1/2) to Mass (almost) every Sunday, by myself, since my dh is gone. Even from family members, well at least I used to, now I think they have "given up" on trying to convince me that my boys get nothing out of it. I am amazed at how much my boys get out of it. Maybe not at that moment, maybe not the next day, or 2 days later, but they understand, Jesus is there in church and he loves them. Ethan will sit and read his bible and other religious books whenever he feels like reading, which is very often, several times a day! Alex listens to the stories Ethan reads to him. We say grace at least every day at dinner and sometimes at breakfast and lunch, because Ethan reminds me! He tells me little things, like Jesus died on the cross, or when he was 12 he was at the Temple, His Mother is Mary, etc.
I read an email I received about a story about Pope Benedict XVI and the talk he gave about St. Cyril of Alexandria. It had to do with the bishops protecting the truths of the faith and passing that on to the faithful. I also think if we learn these truths, we are obligated to pass them on to others, be it our children, spouses, family members or friends.
I don't know what else to write, it's more of a ramble I guess.
8 comments:
I call it "cultural Catholic". It's like people who say they are Jewish, but have never been to synagogue and eat latkes once a year.
When I worked at a crisis pregnancy center, many women came through that said they were Catholic. One thing we did there was pray with the women while we waited for their pregnancy test to do its thing... so many of them didn't know the sign of the cross, OR the Our Father!
Thanks for commenting on my blog - of course I know it's you! You've been on my bloglines ever since I saw you had a blog!
BTW< re:NFP my husband is not Catholic, and every time we have a baby (first baby too) he's said That's It! No More!
And we have 7 children and counting. God has a sense of humor I think!
Excellent post.
I find it to be so sad, like you, how many people are out there calling themselves Catholic, yet they're living nothing of the Catholic faith.
Not to sound judgemental. It is something, though, how people want to pick and choose what suits them from the faith. They practice the aspects they believe or those that are convenient for THEM. How insulting to God! I'm sure HE never felt it was suiting or convenient to be crucified!
Sorry for the tangent. I am a cradle Catholic. However, I can truthfully say that the strongest Catholics I know tend to be converts. Not that that's bad that the converts are the stronger Catholics, but it's sad that ALL Catholics (cradle) are not as enthusiastic and strong.
On the note of your dh-I, too, believe there is plenty of room for change! God does work wonders. lol After our first was born, I swore up & down I'd have no more! (and Brennan was our 3rd pregnancy)
I love how you began this post, saying that you were talking to yourself as much as anyone--Aren't blogs great? I love that they give us the freedom to express ourselves while at the same time, educating ourselves and others!
I have noticed in my life that when I am being a "good Catholic", my life seems to go more smoothly overall. I agree with everything you said! It's a great reality check for everyone, Catholic or not. God is more than a one-hour-a-week committment!
Crystal-
It's great to find other people that think the same way. I just want to say "if your not really going to be Catholic, then don't be Catholic at all". It's like there is small church within our church.. does that make sense? This is an excellent post.
Milehimama- thats a great way to describe, it fits perfectly! Thank you for the comment, its good to know someone's reading, LOL. You're welcome too, I love to read your blog. thats too funny about your dh! good to know God has a sense of humor, and that He knows that you are good parents!
Sharon- so true! it is sad.
I am always happy to hear stories about people changing their minds, I didnt know you only "wanted" one to start with, and now you have two adorable little ones! Thanks for the comment
Jennifer- I totally agree with you, and thanks for the comment. Blogs are definitely a wonderful thing (as long as I can keep up that is, LOL).
You are so right about God being more than a one-hour commitment. I am going to post a song that fits that so well, or actually a link to it. It makes me cry and reevaluate how I act and think, especially at Mass.
Andrea- Thanks for the comment! I understand completely, about the Church within the "church".
Post a Comment