blog background

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baby update!

I had an OB appointment Friday morning. I really like her. She's nice, always asks if I have any questions, answer them thoroughly, asks how I'm feeling and doesn't make me feel rushed.

I'm currently 26 weeks (27 on Friday) so I had to drink that lovely sugar drink for the 1 hour glucose tolerance test. Yuck.

Last month, when I was weighed, I was still at my pre-pregnancy weight of 188 (I'm about 5'7", so definitely overweight by about 40-50 lbs, so she wasn't too concerned - plus she said he was growing great, I was measuring great and was probably losing fat in other places like my thighs, arms, etc. gaining in my abdomen so no big deal.) I expected some weight gain and was hoping to see the scale move. Although I'm not sure I was ready for a 9 lb difference!! I know, I know, 9 lbs in 26 weeks is NOTHING. However when you gain all of that in 4, its like, WOAH! Just kind of a shock. I am officially the heaviest I have ever been, pregnant or otherwise, at 197 lbs. With another 13 1/2 weeks to go. And the most weight gain to go. I'm a little nervous about that to be honest. I am NOT going to not gain weight, because I know I need too. I just hope I don't gain too much, too fast, and he doesn't get too big too fast.

Speaking of getting too big too fast, after listening to a very strong heartbeat, she measured me and said I'm measuring a *little* large, so it's possible my due date may change. She likes to do a follow-up ultrasound around 32 weeks so this is just one more reason to do that. He is just growing really good, I'm sure. Maybe a Christmas baby? Who knows. My due date is already pretty close to that, January 6th.

I found out something very interesting from my mom 2 days ago. She told me she started bleeding when she went in to labor with me, which I knew. What I didn't know, was that she had a placental abruption (I think? where the placenta pulls away from the uterine wall prematurely and causes bleeding?) She also proceeded to tell me that I was born 3 weeks early, almost born in the elevator because her labor went so fast (less than an hour, which I guess is a good thing since she was bleeding pretty bad) and that I only weighed 5 lbs 13 oz!!! I can't believe I never knew that!! I also can't believe she is telling me this NOW! Let's count the similarities here. My parents had 2 girls. They weren't trying for any more (dad had a vasectomy at some point, but yeah...) and SURPRISE, pregnant with #3, me. My sisters were 8 and almost 6 when I was born. We have 2 boys. Not trying for anymore (hubby wanted to get a vasectomy, but hasn't. I'm glad. I don't want him too. He's still planning to. Right around the time the baby is born :( but yeah...) and SURPRISE, pregnant with #3, another boy! Our boys are going to be 9 1/2 and 6 1/2 when he's born. Almost the same scenario, only about a year difference in age and only boys for me vs girls for my parents. Kinda freaky. So for my mom to tell me that stuff about when I was born, I swear sometimes she has the worst timing ;) That's ok. I'm not worried. Not really.

I am a bit worried we won't have a name agreed on. Actually, no, I'm not. I think we have one picked out but I'm going to wait to share for now. Maybe not even until he shows his cute little face. We shall see...

No comments: