blog background

Monday, March 29, 2010

I have a tendency to overthink.

About everything. There are so many blog posts that remain unwritten because I overthink how or what I'm going to write about. I've had this blog for nearly 3 years and over 250 posts. Not very many, really. I have mentioned it in passing to family members but never shared the web address with anyone. I figured if they want it they would ask. Maybe not though. Even as I was thinking about writing this today, I was overthinking it. I kept wondering, what if it makes no sense, what if it's stupid or whatever. That's my constant thing. If it isn't coherent or is a stupid subject, are people going to laugh or not come back? Really. I fear that, with my whole 8 followers and random people who may pop in. The problem with that is, I never really put myself out there. I never just put my thoughts down, coherent or not, to share with others and get opinions, or show people who I am, deep down. IRL, I feel I have a tendency to do the same, except with a select few, and even then I still pick and choose sometimes. Now, I know, some things are better left unsaid, etc. But if you are to really know someone, shouldn't you know about them, their dreams, hopes, thoughts, likes and dislikes.

Some days, I don't even know myself. I've let myself become nothing but mom and wife. Not that being mom and wife is a bad thing, because, to me, it is a wonderful thing, albeit, overwhelming at times. However, I have lost who I am. I can't define myself outside of that. I don't know what kind of music I like or what clothes I'd like to wear, or even where I want to go for a vacation, just the hubby and me. I know that may sound like petty, insignificant stuff in a world of much bigger, more important things. But when my seven year old asks me what my favorite state is or my 4 year old asks what my favorite movie is, I want to be able to answer. I don't even know anymore. My brain feels filled with all things kid-oriented. Or I find myself wishing to go out with Jas on a date night or that the 2 of us could meet up with friends, if we lived closer, not like a year ago, when he was here in MI, and the boys and I in OH, we may actually have friends and go do stuff. I feel selfish for wanting a life outside this house while at the same time not wanting to work at a "paying" job. I love my boys but am so emotionally drained sometimes that I don't do the things I should be doing. Simple things, like housework. I just sit and zone out, watching tv or reading books or blogs.

Too many "I's", I know. But this post is about me. My husband is such a wonderful guy. He puts up with so much from me, and rarely complains. When he does, its most definitely warranted. He doesn't expect me to go out and get a job and seems to like that I'm home with the boys (he has said so on occasion), and never puts me down by saying I'm "just a stay-at-home mom". He loves me and works very hard to provide for us and I love him so very much for that and everything he does for us.

In May, Alex turns 5. That means, in the fall, he will be starting full-day kindergarten. I mentioned that I don't know what I'm going to do at home all day from 8-3 by myself with Jas at work and both boys at school. Everybody, it seems, has well-meant advice and more than one person has mentioned checking if they need volunteers at school. Part of me says, yeah, maybe that's a good idea. The selfish part of me says, "NO WAY. That's their place, at school. when they are there I want to do something I enjoy, for me, whether its take a class, or get a part-time job or whatever." But I know a part-time job isn't feasible. I have to be available at a moment's notice in case either kiddo has a problem at school. This year alone I think I've had to pick E up 5 or 6 times?? and I'm the only one available. Not that it's anybody's fault, just how life has played out. Another thing about a job is, it just wouldn't last (besides having to possibly leave anytime there is a problem), because I would hate it. The only jobs I'm really qualified for is being a cashier, or working in a pizza place. That's not to say those jobs aren't good jobs, but I've done both many jobs, and for me, I don't like them at all. Being a cashier isn't hard work but standing all day in one spot has a tendency to cause me problems. Pizza place are generally not open till 11am and need people in the evenings. Also both jobs would most likely require weekends, which I refuse to take away the little family time we will have. Also if Jas does get O/T its usually weekends and pays a LOT more that a part-time job would. If I got a job, it would have to be something I truly loved, or a least liked, esp. since it wouldn't be for the money. If we were needing extra money, I'd already be working. We are part of the "lucky few" I suppose, that only needs 1 income. Although, it's not just luck. We budget, we plan, we find sales on stuff. That's not to say we couldn't do it anyway. Jas does have a great paying job and we are blessed in that sense.

So job out, class or other activity in. But what do I like? Herein lies the problem. I don't know! I like taking photos and being creative but I'm not very creative, does that make sense at all?? I can picture in my head what I want to do but it never turns out that way. I don't know. Enough for now.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

You're hard on yourself.
I don't think you ever need to apologize for too many "I"s on your own blog. It is YOUR blog! People come to read about YOU, your thoughts & feelings. Don't worry about that.

I don't think most of us every really know who we are. With each stage of life I think we become a slightly different person, being true whether we work outside the house or not. It's a part of evolving and maturing. Our interests, likes, and activities change.

You DO know a bit about yourself, though. How else could *I* know what I do? Only because YOU know & have shared with me.

I think there should be no guilt in doing some things for you when both boys are in school. Oh my gosh, all that reading you do, maybe there is a book club! ;)

HUGS. I'll say some prayers for you. It's not only OK to find out more about you, but it's GOOD to. It doesn't mean you care less about your family. It's just the opposite. When you take care of YOU, you're better able to take care of them. So invest in yourself.

Rachel said...

I was just going to say, check and see if there is a day book club at your local library.
As for classes, just take anything. If you like it, you can pursue it, and if you don't, you don't. But that's how you can find out what your interests are!