Tonight, we are having "Mystery Spaghetti" for dinner. The boys and I came up with this name. I tweaked a recipe I found on a box of instant rice. It's neither spaghetti or much of a mystery, but the boys liked the name so it's stuck. I've only made it once before. Let me tell ya what, I think it's DELICIOUS! Ethan and Alex both gobble it up and usually they don't like casserole-type dishes at all. So even though it's probably loaded with calories and fat, it's a yummy meal that has definitely become a new favorite around here. Here's the recipe (the way I make, not the way on the box...)
- 1-1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- garlic powder to taste
- onion powder to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt AND 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups instant white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- dried parsley
- shredded cheddar (We love cheese so I just cover it with a nice layer...)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Brown ground beef in skillet. Add tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and onion powder and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat.
Bring water to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let stand five minutes and then fluff with fork.
Mix softened cream cheese, sour cream and parsley together in bowl.
Using 8x8 baking dish, place rice in bottom in even layer, then cover with cream cheese, then layer meat/sauce mixture on top, and cover with cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
Serve with salad and breadsticks or garlic bread. Enjoy!
1 comment:
Oh that sounds delicious! I can easily see ways to make it not too fatty, too. Not bad! I may have to try this next time we have ground beef. Thanks for sharing!
And can I just say I got so excited when I saw you blogged again?! LOL
Post a Comment