blog background

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Warning: Keep fingers away from hinge area on heavy doors

Especially while shopping with young children!

Okay, so Tuesday afternoon, Alex and I had picked up Ethan and we stopped by Walmart to get a few things we needed.
We walked around for a bit and Ethan needed to use the restroom. Now, I don't know if all Walmarts are set up this way, but ours has a set of restroom in the front and the back of the store along with a family restroom in the back. The women's restroom in back (where we were at the time) was being cleaned. Instead of risking an accident and walking to the front, we used the family restroom.

As we were exiting, I was leaning on the door to hold it open with my hand near the hinges on the outside of the door (where the wall and the door are attached by the hinges). I was ushering my lovely children, and I mean that in all honesty!, out of the door and to slow down and not walk away from me. I shifted my weight while sliding my right hand forward on the door. Not paying attention. The heavy door closed on its own after being freed from the burden of my 185 lb butt and slammed on my index and middle finger of my hand. I cried, yelled out and was in tears. My poor children were so upset for me. I thought for sure I broke my fingers. Still don't know for sure as I have yet to go to the doctor. But the lady who helped me (a customer) was a nurse for 20 years and said if it broken, it will continue to swell. Well it did swell but stopped and just stayed swollen at a certain point. Walmart's employees were very helpful, getting me some ice and wrapping my index finger, which has nice cut on it, and also helping me keep my boys close and getting them some bottled water.

Without further ado, here are my fingers. Don't scroll down if you have a weak stomach.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jan 2009-March 2009 097 Jan 2009-March 2009 101

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, not as hard on the stomach as I was expecting. lol
So have you gone to the dr yet?!

Sharon said...

Oops! That was me. Sorry! (I was helping my sister w/ her blog so I was in her acct)

Rachel said...

ooh, that looks painful. hope the fingers are feeling better!