blog background

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Stuff

This weekend turned out pretty good! Saturday we visited with Jason's family all day and ate KFC for dinner for Jeff's birthday dinner. Maddy came over and babysat the boys that night. Jason and I went to a party around the block (so we were able to walk!) with his other sister Jorie, who was in from Chicago, and Jeff and Jenny. We didn't get home until after 3 in the morning!!

Ethan woke us at 8:15 and asked when we were going to Mass. We got up and moving and the boys and I went to 11am Mass; they did pretty good! Jason went golfing with his brother. After Mass, I treated the boys to TGI Friday's for lunch. Since Joe, my F-I-L, was in Chillicothe, OH all day Saturday hunting, we all got together again in the late afternoon for Jeff's birthday. Jenny brought over some chicken fajita stuff and we had a chocolate cookie cake for dinner. Joe started a bonfire in the back and the boys, Maddy and I roasted marshmallows.

Monday, we spent the morning saying goodbye to Jorie and then taking Jason's ring to the mall to have it sized. It had to go up a whole size! After that, we went to the classic car show at my grandma's church. There were tons of cool cars there, including my favorite, a 65 mustang, but not the color I want, or convertible. It was for sale though, but Jason said, no way! LOL, um, yeah, 17000 for any car is not happening right now! We also got to see my grandma Bev, Uncle Bobby and his wife, Aunt Kay. The pastor was really nice and even though my uncle was kinda pushing me with the whole not coming to their church, when the pastor mentioned it, after I told him we are Catholic and go to church every Sunday (mostly), he seemed genuinely happy (the pastor, not my uncle, LOL) that we love God and believe in Him and all that. So that was nice. Then we had cheesy hot dogs and chips for dinner.

OH! I totally forgot! On Sunday, Father Jim mentioned a workshop they are doing at our parish, about discerning the gifts the Holy Spirit has given us. I had heard about it earlier this summer and wanted to attend. Well the introductory workshops were the Sunday before last, this past Sunday and this upcoming Sunday too. So the boys and I stayed after Mass and listened to a quick presentation about it and then the boys went and played with the daughter of the presenter, so I could fill out the "inventory". It basically reminded me of a personality test of sorts. In the end, they take your highest "scores" and show you where your gifts lie. Mine are encouragement and hospitality with a 7 in each, and music with a 14!! I knew I enjoyed playing music, always have, and that others have told me they like to hear it, but wow. I've seriously thought over the last couple of years, especially recently, how I would love to play faith-based music for people, whether at Mass, or for other things. I'm just not sure if a flute would be appropriate?? although our parish has been known to have guitars and a trumpet. But the facilitator for the workshop did mention that hospitality is big because they are always looking for people to help with welcoming new families and remembering to keep up with them and helping them continue to feel welcomed. I didnt say it, but being a fairly new family in the parish, I can see that being an area of need. Only a few people have ever said hello, only one or two have introduced themselves to us and I always feel out of place, being there by myself with the boys. I'm sure it's not meant like that but sometimes it would be nice to have someone say hello or offer encouragement.

When we first joined our parish, I was unsure about many things. However after meeting Father Jim, who is also fairly new here, only been here a little over a year himself, I'm encouraged. I read the bulletin fervently each week, to see what new insight he has. He is working with the liturgical commitee to move the Tabernacle back to the front of the Sanctuary! Part of his explanation is that it should be there, it should be part of the center of our attention since that is where Jesus is in the Eucharist ALL the time, and when people genuflect it will actually make sense and be reason for it! The Tabernacle currently sits off to the side and while I try to remember to walk by and genuflect before going to my seat, its not always possible to do. The boys are learning though. Another thing he wrote about in the bulletin just this week was about Sunday Mass attendance. The school kids go every Thursday but of course they should go on Sunday too and Father Jim mentioned that it should be a priority for parents/grandparents to bring their children every week.

Fr. Jim writes:

"As we begin this new school year... I again want to remind everyone that school begins on Sunday Mass together as a community. Parents and grandparents need to see that our children come to Mass each week. The whole purpose of a Catholic School is to share our faith as Catholics which includes Sunday Mass. NO ONE EVER CHANGED THE THIRD COMMANDMENT AND OUR OBLIGATION TO WORSHIP THE LORD ON HIS DAY...which is Sunday for Catholics. All of our religion course of study centers on the worship of God...Loving Him and Loving our neighbor (each other); Knowing Him, Loving Him and Serving Him."

-excerpted from OLL parish bulletin

On another note, Ethan had an orange day yesterday. He told me his teacher "was being mean, because she was making him do work." ??? uh, yeah, thats what your supposed to be doing, kiddo! so he got mad, yelled at her, she took a color, he got mad and threw something, she took a color, he calmed down. HMM, well at least she was very consistent and it seemed to work. What am I gonna do with him? I did look back over the weekend at what we ate, and he had A LOT of junk for 3 days in a row and then daddy had to leave. Plus less sleep, long weekend, lots of swimming and sun. Could all have something to do with the attitude.

We also found Ethan's yellow socks for soccer, which starts tonight! I'm going to take tons of pictures and post them later, before bed hopefully. Well Alex and I are off to the playground in a bit. Then we have to get Ethan at 2:30, go back at 3:30 to get Maddy, come home and eat dinner, and go back to the school at 5:30 for practice. Oh boy, Wednesday's are gonna be busy!!

No comments: