Even Especially when little boys are laughing.
Sitting in the living room and balancing the checkbook, while the boys played upstairs, I heard the sound of breaking glass. I raced upstairs to see what it was and saw white frosted glass everywhere in the boys room, Ethan on the top step and Alex on his bed. After quickly surveying the situation and seeing no visible injuries and yelling at them for throwing toys AGAIN!!!!, Ethan was instructed to grab my flipflops so I didnt hurt my feet and to go sit down on the couch, and Alex was told to sit still till I could get to him. I picked Alex (and his beloved Peep) up and set him on the top step and told him to go on the stairs. He told me it was the big train track that broke it.
What was "it", you ask? The globe over the ceiling light fixture in thier room! Since Mama took all the stuffed animals away because they were tossing them from bed to bed a couple of days ago, they decided it would be ok to throw hard objects like hot wheel cars, trains, train tracks, and other little wooden toys between the beds! Um, yeah, not such a good idea, boys. Thats how stuff gets broken and Mama gets mad (and nearly pulls her hair out, making sure she doesnt spank you out of anger, yelling was bad enough!), and also how you get grounded and lose all your toys for the day. So yeah.
I finally got out of them exactly what happened. I remember hearing two distinct noises but the first time was not really loud and I though it was toys (hmm, well technically it was!). Alex told me he threw a big train track and knocked the globe down, which must have been the first noise, but it was directly in between their beds. Normally it would have crashed loudly there, but the crib mattress we have for Alex in case he rolls out of bed pulled out and probably kept it from breaking and crashing when it first fell. I'm guessing it rolled(bounced?) and broke making the first noise I heard. The second, louder, definitive glass breaking sound (thinking it was a window!) I heard was, TA-DA! Ethan THROWING the largest peice of broken glass on the ground! He says he didnt throw it toward his brother but still! Thank the Lord neither of them got hurt!
What am I gonna do with the two of them? They weren't fighting, or being mean to each other. They were just playing like kids do, laughing and having fun the whole time, right up till I ran up the stairs. And while they definitely shouldn't throw things in the house, it wasn't intentional that they broke it. They are still grounded with no toys today and Alex actually lost Peep (stuffed bunny) till tomorrow too after tossing(!!) her and knocking the basket of clean, folded laundry over WHILE I was cleaning up the glass!
It scares me that they weren't scared, that they were laughing still (and about it?), and that Ethan would not only touch, but throw a piece of broken glass (to get his brother to laugh more?).
4 comments:
Oh man! I'm sorry, I know this isn't funny, but I couldn't help but laugh. lol
It makes me think of my own siblings.
And I can imagine Aidan & Brennan doing this n a few years.
I wish I had some advice! Like you said, they were being boys. At least Ethan is almost to the age of reason where he'd foresee some of these dangers a little more. Is that any comfort? :)
Aagghh, boys.
We rent, and in one house my husband screwed a metal colander over the bulb to protect the light fixture!
So of course they knocked a hole in the drywall with their lightsaber, instead, LOL.
Glad no one was hurt! As the mom of three boys I can honestly say that I am surprised that this has not happened in my house yet. Don't worry, it will. And I will probably yell too! :-)
Hey, how do you cross out your text like that without erasing it? Like you did on your opening sentence?
milehimama--Speaking of lightsabers...we don't have one but Landon was playing with two boys (ages 5 and 7) at a friend's house the other day---alone in a room-- and after we heard the taletell crashing noise, we went up to find th boys' room pretty much destroyed. The two older boys were attacking Landon with pillows and Landon was swinging the lightsaber around like he knew exctly what one was---L ended up getting pushed off of a bed and cutting and bruising himself all up on the metal bed frame---Through it all, they were having the greatest time. It never crossed their mind that they might get in trouble! BOYS!!!!
Post a Comment