blog background

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A diagnosis?

If you've read my blog in the recent weeks, you know that my oldest Ethan has some difficulties. He loves school but has transitioning problems(screaming, meltdowns, sometimes throwing things) and these have been getting better as time has passed. Today my dh and I took Ethan to the developmental pediatrician for his full assessment and the doctor said he has a very mild form of autism, basically just on the spectrum having pdd-nos (pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified).He wants Ethan to try some medicine to help with his behaviors and transitioning. He asked us to try it for 30 days and come back and see him. I am very reluctant and apprehensive about it. The dr wrote a script for .25mg of Risperdal 1x a day for 30 days. I just dont know what to do.

3 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Crystal,
This is the medication my son was on for a while. We transitioned off it and use natural supplements, etc. with him. Make sure you KNOW the side effects etc. before you make a decision. It is a very heavy duty medication that can do weird things to little boys (usually from long term use) so you need to go into the situation with your eyes open.

E-mail me if you want to chat about it mommyjo2[at]yahoo[dot]com

Or click this link, to my story about our journey with the med and getting off it.
http://milehimama.blogspot.com/2006/11/yep-im-quack.html

BTW: PDD-NOS is just a handy tag so the doc can bill the insurance company.

Sharon said...

Oh Crystal, what a place between a rock and a hard spot!

Wasn't there a specific diet you were going to try w/ Ethan? How did that work out?

My inclination is to avoid meds at this young of an age. I am no dr, and no personal experience with this as a parent. I know I don't offer much. I just don't blame you for being apprehensive.

Ethan was so pleasant when we were around him. I'd hate for any of that to change!
I will definitely keep all of this in my prayers.

Andrea said...

Crystal *Hugs* What a hard decision to have to make. I'm one for not wanting to put any medications into my children.

Have you tried looking up the medication? Are their any other alternatives? Is he at a point that he needs medication? You've probably already thought of those questions. Just throwing them out there.

I know you will make the best decision for your little guy and your family. Prayers for Ethan and your family. Andrea