Ok, so my soon-to-be 5 yr old wants a map party for his birthday and I have had a hard time trying to come up with stuff, so I asked him if we could make it map/transportation instead to have more ideas maybe. He was fine with that and so there I sat on my adventure to find party games, decorations and food dealing with transportation and more importantly MAPS. I have scoured the internet any chance I have and got some neat ideas, graham cracker"stop lights" with red yellow and green m&m's, red light green light game(Duh, why didnt I think of that? I mean I only begged my older sisters and cousins to play that with me ALL THE TIME!), different craft ideas, etc. Well I have decided we are going(me mainly w/ some help from my mom) to make some "street lights" from shoe boxes, constuction paper and dowel rods, stop and yield signs w/paper and dowel rods, roads for the kids to walk, run and ride on from plastic table covers in the yard, "driver's licenses" (I will have this all ready beforehand except the picture, take and print each child's pic with digital cam and computer when they get here and then finish the license and laminate with these really cool id sized self laminating cards). We are going to make mobiles with different kinds of transportation pictures, straws and yarn for a craft. I am going to attempt to make a map cake by using two 9x13 cakes frosted green and blue(water) with chocolate roads(w/white lines, cause believe me if i dont he will mention it, LOL), mini plastic cars, graham cracker houses, "fences" which is what he calls telephone poles and wires(LOL) w/ pretzels and pullapart licorice and chocolate licorice for train tracks with a happy birthday thomas the tank engine on it. We will plan on 3 games, red light green light, bean bag toss and "Pin the tail on the donkey" type game. now for the coolest thing ever! for the bean bags we were at Walmart looking for some kind of material for those and white for the tablecloth. I was going to have the boys drive their cars through paint and on the tablecloth to decorate it. well i can across the coolest fabric which I am going to use for the tablecloth and the bean bags(which will be thrown into an old monster truck or semi, not sure which it is, tire that is in our backyard between my and neighbors house, thought it went with the theme)
streets and vehicles and signs oh my!!
and drum roll please!!!! the kicker, my mom walked around the corner to look at something and found this:
fabric with a map of the WHOLE WORLD!!!! how cool! so for "pin the tail on the donkey" we are actually going to play "Pin the plane on Afghanistan"!!!(which, in case you are unaware, that is where my dh is at right now)
I couldnt believe it when she showed me. and when I told her the idea she loved it!
And we are having some kind of treasure hunt/map type thing, not sure yet how we are doing that to have the kids find the cake or something of that sort. For food, well I just decided since Little Caeser's has hot n ready pizzas for $5 a large and there will be 25-20 people there, this would be easy not too expensive and everybody(I hope) will eat it and I wont have to cook anything so it frees me up for all the fun stuff YAY! and to go with the map cake, we are going to have banana"boat" sundaes(banana splits) that the kids can top how they want! so anyway thats what we came up with. I will have to post pics when all is said and done. less than 2 weeks to go and my "baby" will be five! I also have 2 family newletters for August to do one for my mom's side and one for my dad's side, its a new venture I decided to try and everyone has given good reviews so far, they love it and want more, YAY. I dont know what has gotten into me but I feel very creative lately.
No comments:
Post a Comment