blog background

Friday, April 13, 2012

Grocery Budget

*Update* only had 322.48 (? not sure how the odd amount?) See new total spent, I did end up over budget this week by a bit and ran out of ranch dressing and almost out of cheddar cheese so I still have to go BACK to the store for those!

Today (Tuesday), Jackson and I went to the grocery store and bought quite a lot of items! I've decided (as previously posted) to start eating less processed food, more organics and less additives, etc. We also got a membership to Costco so we can start buying some items in bulk and also they have a great selection of organic meat at pretty good prices and also, obviously, in bulk. This helps me to plan out meals for 2 weeks instead of one. Which is incredibly nice and also incredibly overwhelming ;)

I'm going to start tracking my grocery spending on here along with our weekly menus so it's all in one place and if anybody is interested in HOW we are doing they can see it all laid out!

So first things first.

From the last 2 paychecks, I've taken our normal grocery and household item money and put it together for buying 2 weeks worth of those things. I have $320 total to spend. Plus I took back all of our cans and bottles for deposits and ended up with an additional $8.90 and had $2.10 in my pocket from something(?) for whatever ;) so $322.10 plus deposit refund slip worth $8.90.

Here's the breakdown so far:

Saturday morning, we had to make a quick stop before going to my parents' for a wonderful Easter dinner of ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans with almonds, and Hawaiian sweet rolls, followed by cheesecake and strawberry covered frosted pound-cake. I had forgotten the sweet rolls at our house and since I didn't remember till we'd driven for over an hour, well, yeah, we had to go buy some more :) I also grabbed a pack of diapers we needed for the week.

Meijer (Saturday 4-7-12)
50 ct Luvs diapers -                                                   $6.99 +tax (6%? Not sure in OH and lost receipt)
2 Aunt Millie's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls @ 2/$5 -           $5.00

Semi-total: (with tax)                                               $12.41

Meijer (Tuesday 4-10-12)
V05 conditioner                                                         $0.88 +tx
V05 shampoo                                                            $0.79 +tx
Tom's kid's toothpaste (dye free!)                               $3.20 +tx
Bananas 2.81lbs @ $0.54/lb                                      $1.52
Quick Oats Oatmeal 16oz                                          $1.40
Pinto beans, dry, 1lb                                                   $1.65
Whole wheat pita bread 16oz x2 @1.80/ea                $3.78
Instant brown rice 14oz                                              $1.99
Whole wheat spaghetti 16oz *                                    $1.99
Land O'Lakes spreadable butter 8oz                          $2.39
Applesauce 25oz*                                                      $2.49
Pacific condensed cream of mushroom soup 12oz*     $2.69
Minced garlic 8oz*                                                     $2.69
Salsa 16oz*                                                               $2.69
Sour cream 16oz*                                                      $2.69
Beef broth 32oz*                                                       $2.79
Mother's best frosted mini wheats 16.5oz                    $2.79
Dozen brown eggs x2 @3.47/ea*                               $6.94
Whole wheat mac&cheese family size                  $3.49
Simply Ranch dressing 12oz                                       $3.49
3lb bag Michigan apples                                             $3.49
Whole wheat pizza crust 2 pk                                     $3.99
Natural pancake mix 18.5oz                                       $3.99
Mandarin oranges in juice cups 4pk                            $2.00
Pineapple chunks in juice cups 4pk                             $2.00
Hummus 10oz x2 @4.29/ea                                       $8.58
Spring mix greens 1lb*                                                $4.99
Mozzarella, block 1lb                                                 $5.39
Cheddar, block 1lb x2 @5.39/ea                               $10.78
Milk, gallon x2 @6.29/ea*                                         $12.58
Maple syrup 12oz*                                                    $7.99
Tuna 5oz x3 @0.66/ea                                               $1.98
Pizza sauce 15oz*                                                      $1.39
Popcorn, 32oz                                                           $1.59
Meijer Naturals pasta sauce 24oz                               $1.79
Applesauce cups 6pk                                                 $1.89
Whole wheat tortillas 10ct x2 @1.99/ea                     $3.98
Pico de gallo 16oz                                                      $3.99
Aunt Millie's Whole wheat bread 24oz                        $2.00
Whole wheat egg noodles 12oz                                  $2.00
Co-jack slices 6.67oz                                                $2.50
Muenster slices 8oz                                                    $2.50
Pretzels 16oz                                                              $2.50
Kashi cereal bars 6pk x2 @3.00/ea                            $6.00
Cascadian farm granola bars 6pk x2 @3.00/ea*         $6.00
String cheese 12 ct x2 @3.00/ea                                $6.00 
Yogurt 6oz x10 @0.60/ea*                                         $6.00
Tostitos whole grain scoops 10oz                                $3.50
Tostitos whole grain tortilla chips 9oz                           $3.50
Baby carrots 1lb*                                                       $1.00

minus 0.50 cpn                                                           -$0.50
minus 0.50 "extra" cpn (doubled)                                -$0.50


Semi-total for this:                                                   $177.52

New Total so far:                                                     $189.93

Kroger (Wednesday 4-11-12)       
(used money from can/bottle returns, and I went hungry :( )

Uncured hot dogs 7pk*                                               $6.49
Reese's cups x3 @ 0.99/ea, buy 2 get 1 free :)             $1.98
Dorito's snack bag                                                       $0.50
Cheeto's snack bag                                                      $0.50
Pepsi 20oz                                                                   $1.59
deposit                                                                         $0.10

Semi-total for this:                                                     $11.16

New Total:                                                                  $201.09

Costco (Wednesday 4-11-12)

B/L S/L chicken breast, 3.37lbs*                                 $20.19
Stew beef (strips) 4.07lbs                                            $12.98
Tilapia fillets 2.63lbs                                                     $15.75
Ground beef 4.02lbs*                                                  $17.99
Guacomole 7pk/8oz, 3.5lb total                                    $9.99
Quinoa 4lb*                                                                 $9.49

Semi-total:                                                                  $86.39

New Total:                                                                  $287.48


Somehow I only have $35.00 left in my wallet... not sure where the other 9 or so went. Oh well.

Pantry items we had already:

lentils
can of fire roasted tomatoes
tropical fruit cups 4pk
peach cups 4pk
pineapple cup x1
orange cup x1
potatoes*
ground beef 1.34lb*
whole chicken*
3 pork chops
olive oil
muffin mix
juice boxes x36
frozen juice x3
yogurt 32oz x2
spices/seasonings
onion
sweet potatoes x2

Things I need to get for next week:
potatoes
broccoli
cauliflower
jalapeno
ranch dip
bread
hot dog buns
hamburger buns
freezer bags
deodorant (for J)
diapers
white t-shirt for Alex for his spring concert

Might need some more apples, bananas, and mixed greens. The ones I bought earlier this week aren't getting eaten quickly though so they may last into the middle of next week.

Menu to be shared tomorrow. This darn post took me all week to finish!! LOL. The littlest man has been super needy but that's ok. Time to go take care of him and his older brothers right now after I get some jammies on for the night :)

* organic items


No comments: