blog background

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Alter Ego?

If my life had not turned out the way it has (and I totally love my life and family), how would I LIKE to live it?

Sharon is my editor ;) and gave me this idea.

Food for thought, really.

Growing up, I had so many different things I wanted to be.
Veterinarian. Lawyer. Teacher. Archaeologist.

I would say my alter ego would be an archaeologist or at least some kind of traveling writer/photographer. I would love to travel around the world and learn about all the different cultures and people. I would love to see the pyramids and go on a archaeological dig either in Egypt or at the Mayan ruins. Those have always fascinated me.

Or I would live with people in different countries, say in Africa or the Middle East, and really immerse myself in their cultures, taking photographs and documenting my experiences to share with the world. Hopefully, in the process, also help someone, like children by teaching in a school, or women by helping them learn to take care of themselves and their families.

I have been fascinated by other cultures and customs for as long as I can remember. I would even, as a mom, love to travel and possibly live overseas with our family and give my boys some amazing opportunities and the chance to really see the world and meet people outside of our "safety net". It would be scary but oh so neat, at the same time.

If we could live in Germany or England for a year, I think it would be wonderful! We could see so many ancient sites, castles, etc and have hands-on learning about many different cultures and times in Europe. A couple of years ago, Jason worked overseas in Afghanistan and after he came back, we heard about a job opportunity in Saudi Arabia. While we discussed it several times, we never really pursued anything. Sometimes, I wonder if we should, and what would happen if we did?

Living in Michigan, a little over an hour from family is kind of tough. Not in the way living in Maryland or New York State was, but because we are close enough to visit fairly often, but far enough that it's a bit of a pain. Of course, we are "expected" to show up for all the special things and it can be stressful. Michigan is also cold and snowy in the winter and Jason and I are both so over the snow!! I think it would be neat if we could find a good job or 2 good jobs somewhere warmer. My top choices in the states? South Carolina or Arizona. But we will most likely not move again, except to a different house around here, with more land.

I think that Jason and I will just have to accept that we will never both be 100% happy with the area we live in, because there's always something we don't like about a place or the people, if I'm honest with myself...

No comments: