blog background

Monday, June 15, 2009

Bittersweet Moments

Ethan goes to a special program for children on the autism spectrum. The program is run by a private provider, who rents 3 classrooms at a local Catholic elementary school. Some of the children in the ASD program are pre-inclusion and some are already in inclusion. I would consider Ethan right about in the middle ground. He spends a half hour going to Sensory Integration, then pre-inclusion morning meeting, then goes to 2nd grade inclusion, then for the last 15 minutes or so back to pre-inclusion for cleanup/chores. During the summer, the Catholic school is closed but Ethan's school is still open. The children go M-Th 9am - 1pm for most of June, July and August with a week break each month. Ethan is preparing to go to 3rd grade in the fall, and was originally upset that he wouldn't get a full summer break.

Dr. B, the director of the school, called me about 2 weeks ago and asked if we would send Alex during the summer months to be a peer-model for the younger kids (3 & 4 year olds). No cost to us, just send him lunch, and he would go the same days and times as Ethan.

Today started summer session.

My youngest child started his first day of school ever!! I am sad and happy at the same time. He is so grownup and happy and excited. He's not my baby anymore. I didn't do a birthday post for Alex because we were so busy I honestly forgot about the blog! Alex turned 4 on May 30th!

Last night, I was getting them out of the bath and we were talking about today and Alex started to get upset and teary-eyed. I asked him if he was worried or scared about going to school or what was wrong. He looked at me with those beautiful hazel-brown eyes of his and said "Mom, I'm sad cause YOU will be all alone!"

I wanted to cry right there, knowing in my heart that I would be missing them both so much, but also because I was touched by his empathy and love for me and my feelings!

Here is a picture of Ethan and Alex on the first day of summer session, and for Alex, school. They call it "reverse-inclusion".

Alex's First day (Sail)

Alex even has his own backpack, lunchbox and water bottle. Don't they look so grown up??? Where has the time gone?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That is a great picture! They DO look so grown up!

Sharon said...

Aww!!! How sweet of him. That even tore at MY heart strings!
How does Ethan like having his brother there w/ him?

I do love this picture. Looks like a framer-er.

Bethany said...

They are so cute-- how sweet they get to go together :) I hope you all have a great summer!