We remember those who fought for our country. Those who lost their lives in that fight, and those whose lives were changed forever.
Today I remember my grandpa, Louis. He fought in the Korean War and came home to my grandma and their young son, my dad. He was brave but my grandpa was changed forever. My dad once told me that Grandpa would have nightmares or even wake up and forget that he was no longer over there fighting, screaming or worse. It even affected his memory at times when my dad and his 7 brothers and sisters were growing up to the point my dad was called by all of his brothers names at different times and rarely by his own. He had a tough time. He did love his wife and kids but it drove a wedge between my dad and his dad for a long time. It took a long time, but they did become close in the last several years of my grandpa's life.
I remember my grandpa as a different man though. I remember Grandpa O as someone whom I sat on his knee and he would give me butterscotch candy, and chocolate suckers my grandma made. We would go to their house every year at Christmas. Grandpa O. died when I was only 6, at the young age of 54, from an aneurysm. He was kind, funny and loving. I remember when he pierced my oldest sister's ears with a needle and potato. I remember his funeral, the first I ever went to. My grandma told me he was sleeping and I just wanted to kiss him and wake him up. I was barely tall enough to reach the casket and give him a kiss, but I did over and over, just waiting for my Grandpa to wake up. At one point, I even got yelled at because I almost pulled it over on myself! I didn't understand that he wasn't going to wake up, that he was with Jesus.
My grandpa was a Korean war veteran, a man that struggled and a loving grandpa and I miss him very much.
Today I also remember my Uncle Greg, who is a Vietnam Vet. I don't know much about the time he served over there, he doesn't talk about it. Ever. But my mom has told me he served two tours over there. He is a hero to me, just as my Grandpa O. My Uncle Greg is alive and well and a grandfather himself.
Thank you to all who have sacrificed their lives to fight for freedom, and thank you to their families. We must not ever forget them. They are our heroes and loved ones, our past and reason for being free.
So when you are having your cookout today, Remember not only those who fought and died but those who fought and lived and were forever changed and also those whose family fought and died. They are all heroes in their own right. Cookouts are fun but we must remember why today is a holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment