blog background

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Feingold - Day 3

Yesterday was a really rough day for Ethan. There was substitute teacher in his classroom and he played on the computers (which he loves) when he wasn't supposed to. After being sent to the principal's office and having a time out, the vice principal needed to go the cafeteria and there was no one else to watch Ethan so she tried to get him to go with him. He had a horrible "tantrum", screaming, trying to throw himself on the floor almost knocking his head on the floor and yelling no! The VP asked if she should call me, and he replied, with an attitude "Yeah, call my mom, I want to go home." Needless to say, she called and I ended up picking him up. We went to the classroom to get his sweatshirt and bookbag, and the tutor told me that she thinks he is bored, because he is so far ahead of the other kindergartners. The school has already put him in first grade reading and he loves that.

We found a really great Catholic 1st-8th grade school that is a school "for children with unique learning needs". They tailor a learning program based on where the kids are at, such as first grade math and science, but 2nd grade reading and social studies, or something like that. There is a class for 1-2 grades, 2-3 grades, 4-5 grades, 6-7 grades, 6- 8 grades, 7-8 grades, 2-5 grades, and 4-8 grades, plus a sensory integration class for all the grades, computer class, phys ed, art, music and religion classes. The students go to Mass weekly. Most of the teachers are Sisters of Notre Dame. We are going to try and go over to the school and check it out this week hopefully (well me and Alex that is, since Jason doesnt get home till 5:30). Its almost $4000 a year but it seems perfect for Ethan. I just hope they will have an opening for him.

Day 3 of the Feingold diet was today, and WOW! After yesterday, I knew things couldn't get worse, but I had no idea was we were in store for. This morning I was irritable and rushing around, which usually puts Ethan in a horrible mood, but he did good, no whining, crying, fighting with me. We got to school with 2 minutes to spare and he still seemed fine. After school, Alex and I were waiting for what seemed like forever for him to come out, so we walked inside and saw him coming down the hallway, smiling as big as possible! He was on green today(they have little cards, green is a good day, yellow is a warning, red is bad day, 5 minutes of free time is lost). Ethan said he had a great day at school, and remembered what he did in art and told me with no prompting! We came home and the boys played together nicely. Alex was knocking over the city that Ethan was building, and normally, Ethan would start crying, yelling or throwing an all out fit, but he just calmly told Alex that he didn't want the city broken! I was shocked! We ate dinner together as a family 2 days in a row with not many problems (Alex still doesnt have his appetite back fully from being sick last week) and bedtime toy cleanup went smoothly too. If this is what it is supposed to be like, so much less stressful, I can only say, I wish we had done this sooner. Now I know it won't be like this all the time, but wow!

Oh and Ethan heard there is a car show this weekend that he wants to go to, and if he's on green the rest of the week at school we are going to try and go Saturday early or Sunday. He heard about it on the radio this morning and was so excited so that very well could have motivated him to do so well in school today but I sincerely believe that the Feingold program has helped too!

1 comment:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Hi Crystal!
I just got back onlline and am catching up on your blog. We use a modified Feingold program (two years in June!) that has done wonders for our son. We didn't do the whole thing, just eliminated artificial colors, sweeteners, MSG, and some other chemicals. It's difficult but worth it!

Let me know if you need some ideas/help implementing it!

I do want to warn you about using any mixes off the shelf (like taco seasoning) or even spice blends. It is soo hard to find "safe" ones!

I make my own hamburger buns in the breadmaker. Use a dinner roll recipe and just make them twice as big!

Good luck!

Oh, and my son was in a program like the one you describe. They had one teacher for 1-2 grade, one for 3-5 grade, etc. so the kids can work at their level - ahead or behind - without having to change environments or having stigma of being "dumb". If the local school cannot meet your needs, but the private school does, the public school might have to pay the tuition! Check out WrightsLaw.com for lots on info on that.